Views (THANKS FANS!)

Monday, July 23, 2012

Celebrating Week 1


We're back, broadcasting live from "the spa" one week older and one week stronger! It has been a busy first week of life in the NICU. We're all doing as well as expected for babies born at 30 weeks, but it's going to be a very, very long road.


Jaxson Ray Hoheisel
So after a week, I'm trucking right along. Since I am just a wee little man, I am not able to eat much...yet. I am getting 7 milliliters of milk every 3 hours through a really annoying tube that goes in my nose and down to my tummy. They also trick me by putting some milk on a cotton swab and let me suck on that. Even though it's a trick, it's dang good! Mommy and daddy are visiting us a lot. They have been bathing me, holding me kangaroo style, and even changing my diapers. Speaking of changing diapers, I upgraded from "swaddler" to "preemie" diapers. Mommy is really good at changing our diapers, but daddy needs some work. My sisters and I never make it easy on him either. We always have our legs straight up in the air, crossed, or kicking all around. Mommy, Charlie, Ella, and I just giggle! I am also laying out in the sun, well kinda. I am actually getting phototherapy to help decrease my bilirubin level. I get to wear some pretty sweet sunglasses while I'm catching some rays. "I'm sexy and I know it!" Many of our visitors are surprised at how little we actually are. You think of 2 pounds and know that it's small, but when you see pictures of us, we kinda look just like any other baby. So it is kinda deceiving. The size might be deceiving, but our cuteness sure isn't!

Right after mommy made me mad by giving me a bath 
Snuggling with mommy 
Being a preemie is tough work


Charlie Dawn Hoheisel
I can't believe we are already a week old! Our time in the spa has been going very quickly. I mean, how couldn't it be great with people to bathe us, change us, and feed us? Well not feed me because I am not tolerating the feedings very well. Many tiny babies do not do very well with feedings at first, so they switch between no feedings and 1 milliliter. I still get the milk swab, so at least I get to taste the good stuff. Don't worry  though, I am getting all of the nutrients I need by IV and do not even know I am hungry because I am concentrating so hard on breathing. I get to sunbathe, too. I am also on CPAP. Besides covering most of my face, it helps push air into my lungs. I am able to breathe on my own, but my lungs need a little extra help growing. Being the middle child, I'm going to have to be a fighter and I am already testing those instincts. When Ella and Jaxson are getting attention from the nurses, I have to be naughty so the nurses pamper me. It has worked quite well, too. Mommy and daddy haven't been able to hold me much. Partly because I'm too dang comfy in my bed and don't want to be disturbed. But mostly it is because I have to concentrate on getting my system stronger. I suppose I should get my act together because mommy and daddy are getting antsy to snuggle this cutie patootie. As I get stronger and tolerate my feedings a bit more and strengthen my lungs, hopefully mommy and daddy can hold me. Many people told mommy and daddy that there would be many ups and downs each day, and mommy knew that from working at the spa. However, it is completely different when you're the mommy and not the nurse. I know it's hard on mommy and daddy, but because of their strength and the strength from our family and friends, we will get through this one step at a time.

So peaceful and relaxed
Notice my legs... always in strange positions
Wide awake after freshening up


Ella Grace Hoheisel
It sure is different with mommy and daddy at home and us still at the spa. I sometimes get sad knowing that mommy and daddy are sitting at home missing us as much as we miss them, but then I remember that we need to grow stronger and stronger so we can be at home with them. It's tough for all of us, but it is what we need. I am getting 5 milliliters of milk every 3 hours. I also switch back and forth from super small diapers and preemie diapers. Mommy and daddy usually get to hold me once a day. I LOVE IT!! When they hold me and I slip in their shirts, I snuggle right in and fall asleep. Hearing their heartbeats, feeling their warm skin, and being held tight is the best medicine...for us and mommy and daddy. I also am laying out catching some rays. You know, a girls gotta have her sun time! We've had lots of visitors lately. We've met our grandpas and grandmas, some aunts and uncles, and even some cousins. We've also met some of our really good friends. Just an FYI - - if one of the us goes missing, the first suspect would be Dr. Panda! He has been calling my sister Charlie Panda and me Ella Panda. What can I say, it's hard not to fall in love with the Hoheisel Triplets, and I think many would agree. The nurses say that Jaxson looks like daddy, Charlie looks like mommy, and I have the best features of both mommy and daddy. I think I'm okay with that...as long as I don't get daddy's nose!

I'm not too sure about this bath business.
Finally able to stretch
Snuggle time with daddy 

As we continue to reach milestones while here at the spa, we will be sure to keep you updated. Now that mommy and daddy are at home, it allows time for everyone to rest and get stronger, even mommy and daddy. We continue to be surprised and humbled by the love and strength we receive from everyone. We heard mommy and daddy talking to a friend the other day and they said you really don't know what true love is until you're looking into 2 wondrous eyes of something so small, so beautiful, and so pure...or in mommy and daddy's case, 6 wondrous eyes! We know that it's hard for mommy and daddy to be away from us, but it makes the day when we're all healthy and strong even sweeter! 

Thanks, Becky!! Who knew McDonald's sold cakes?!?
Daddy said this is the only clown we can have ---
one that we can cut up and eat!

We appreciate the continued prayers and gifts of kind words from everyone. You're thoughtfulness is making each and every one of us stronger and stronger each day!

We love you all! Take care!!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to your updates....Glad to hear they are all making progress. Will continue to send prays :)
    Nicole Linstad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update beautiful babies. We miss you all lots so seeing the photo's makes us smile. Your mom & dad are amazing and the Altru staff are wonderful. They are all working hard to keep you healthy and happy. Keep growing Jaxson, Charlie & Ella. We love you all!
    Thoughts, prayers, hugs & kisses sent your way,
    Grandpa & Grandma H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! I sure have been thinking and praying for all of the Hoheisel Family
    Carla Haaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are just BEAUTIFUL!!! So happy for all five of you.

    Papa bear and momma bear Restad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for all of you.
    Breann coughlin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I accidently stumbled on this, yet so glad.
    I would like to share my hugs and
    prayers for all.
    Congratulations, Mom, Dad, Grandpa and Grandma!

    Mrs. C. Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  8. The update was wonderful!!! Them babies look GREAT!!!! Their color and features are beautiful and healthy looking....Prayers will continue for all!! Get your rest cuz once they come home there will be NONE...LOL
    Love Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alecia and Loren....
    Congratulations on your beautiful babies... we are all so happy for you!!! We will keep you all in our prayers and ask for special care for continued health so that those little precious ones will get stronger every day and that you will all be home together. Remember that when you are all settled that the babysitting service from us is an open invitation from Jim and me!! You will need some quiet time even tho you won't want to leave them!! Love Jim and Jan Halvorson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the updates from you all!!! All so small, so perfect and so very precious in every way. Enjoy
    Wayne & Debi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 1 week already! What precious little miracles! We are keeping all 5 of you in our prayers. Miles and Sharon

    ReplyDelete